Wednesday, March 13, 2013

coming to terms with a popcorn ceiling

I despise popcorn ceilings.  Loathe them.  But, it is the hand that has been dealt.
I have been talking about planking the ceilings....all of them.  We have vaulted ceilings and a lot of space to be covered.

After taking into consideration the magnitude that would be this process (mainly Mr. TSL's face when I talk about redoing all the ceilings and my mom telling me just to get over them and stop looking at them) I have decided to just deal with them.

Seriously with 4 kids and the giant ass mess scraping them would cause, what was I thinking.  I have better things to do with me time, like read other people's blogs about how they scraped theirs and looking at planked ceilings on Pinterest!

I have researched a few alternatives.

Paint it white, then it looks clean and fresh and gets rid of the little shadows caused by years of cobwebs :)
via

Paint the whole room including the ceiling the same color.
via

I know this is a stretch, but I really like this....paint it darker. It's bold and kind of sexy :)
via
I think I am going with the middle one of painting it to match the walls.....I don't want to be safe and go with the white ceiling, but I don't have the balls to paint it darker.  I just wouldn't want to climb on the ladder to repaint it if I didn't like it.

We'll see.  Until then, here is also a good tip of you have to repaint your popcorn ceiling.
drag a flathead screwdriver along the edge to get a better paint line :)


xoxo

2 comments:

  1. If I could travel back in time I would travel back to meet the asshole who invented popcorn ceilings and tell him it was literally the stupidest idea anyone has ever had... like on a scale of 1 to 10, it's at a Donner party taking a "short cut" through the mountains level of bad decision-making.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jess,
      I could not have over dramatized that better myself. I was whining to my mom about them and said the thought of them consumes my soul....she said I was just being dramatic :)

      Delete

I love all your comments! Thank you for stopping by :)