Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Nate Berkus Knock Off Rug for CWS

Round one of Crafting with the stars was Knock Off.  The projects were uh-mazing.  As soon as the post went up for voting, I may have been slightly neuroticly worried.....I like a good knock off and I picked Nate Berkus's NY Apartment Rug.  I believe Ikea makes a cheaper version, but I like Nate's space!




My only cost was the painters tape which was $5-ish....I bought a lot of groceries that day and don't remember exactly.

I had the rug from Dollar General that I paid $10 for last year.  I bought it to lay over the NASTY crapet (yep, I meant crapet)  Got it home and of course it was about 1 inch too wide.  Suckola!  I then put it on the porch to catch the sand and dirt from tracking in the house....it still does, but not as much.

The rug when I started was filthy, dirt and sand galore.  I didn't wash it.  I vac'd it like 5 times and it still has sand in it!  Which is fine because it went right back out on the porch.  It's not big enough to warrant keeping it in the house.  Plus, we have very plush/shaggy 80's crapet, so rugs won't lay right.

It's like a light brown color.

Then I started painting and painting.  The paint is just regular house paint.  The white is marshmallow white from glidden and the black is an oops can Mr. TSL picked up for $5 to paint the kitchen cabinets from Lowe's.  Kitchen Cabinet paint no more.  I used it for this project and for next weeks project and I may paint the front door :)  It bubbles anyway, so it wouldn't make good cabinet paint.

After 2 coats of black paint, it was decently covered....remember this is going on the porch and is currently dirty from being there now.

it is actually covered better, but seemed to show brush marks in the crappy pic.
 I measured and divided by 4, so I could make the sections.  Then, I measured and marked it with white chalk...so I wouldn't have to wash it off!

Then I started taping and taping and taping.  After 2 coats of white paint, it looked like this:











Now, I need your opinion on something.......

We scored this amazing door at Habitat for Humanity for $10.  Mr. TSL hung it and I love love it! It's like adding another window in a room with little light!

It's wood on the side facing to dining room and white facing the sunporch.

I plan to either paint it candy apple red or black....what to do?

Here are my inspiration pics.:
RED


or

BLACK



Nate's rugs and inspiration doors via my Pinterest

-Make your life beautiful!!

SUNDAY: 
The Girl Creative ,The DIY Showoff ,Sisters of the Wild West ,The Tattered Tag ,Flamingo Toes, Under the Table and Dreaming I Heart Nap Time 

 MONDAY:
Skip To My LouThrifty Decor ChickC.R.A.F.T.Sew Can DoDittle Dattle, Between Naps On the Porch, Homemaker on a Dime,  Making the World Cuter


TUESDAY:
Tip JunkieType AA Bowl Full of LemonsToday's Creative BlogFunky Polkadot GiraffeStrictly HomemadeA Diamond in the StuffAll Thingz RelatedHandmade Tuesday,
WEDNESDAY:
Blue Cricket DesignNot Just A HousewifeSomeday CraftsHandy Man, Crafty WomanSew Much AdoOrganize Your Stuff NowSeven Thirty ThreeSugar and Dots The Mommy Club  
THURSDAY:
My Repurposed LifePaisley PassionsHouse of HepworthsBeyond The Picket FenceThe Shabby Chic CottageSomewhat Simple, 

FRIDAY:
Remodelaholic, Fingerprints on the FridgeMiss Mustard SeedChic on a ShoestringShabby NestTidy MomLittle Lucy Lu, My Simple Home Life

SATURDAY:
Funky Junk Interiors, be Different Act Normal, Tatertots and Jello, Young and Crafty

14 comments:

  1. You did a fabulous job on your Nate Knock Off rug! I love it! As for your front porch, I vote for black, but then again, I love my black front door (goes with all decorations) and I'm very traditional. Red or black is a great choice, though!
    ps...you might want to turn off your word verification...I almost closed my tab before it came up and my comment would have been lost.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great knock off rug! I adore that black/white style. I don't think you could go wrong with either color door. Come check me out- www.alivedinhome.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE red doors so my vote is red. Great job on the rug. What a nice pop in a room. I am new follower from the Mommy Club. Vicky from www.messforless.net

    ReplyDelete
  4. Personally, I like the red! :) Great rug.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE that rug! For whatever silly reason, the Ikea version of that rug isn't available here in Texas... the idea of DIYing my own hadn't crossed my mind. Great job!!!

    And as for the door, I say red, all the way!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i say go for the red doors. you did an amazing job on the rug!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your rug!! It turned out awesome!! As for the door, I think the red looks AWESOME!! But that's just me! Maybe you could do red on the inside and black on the outside?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I say go for the red door. I love the bold pop of color! Great inspiration pics. And also like the rug a lot

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow. Love what you did with the rug. I remember that Nate Berkus room.

    Red. But I'm not the one who has to live with it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love love love how your rug turned out! I've been drooling over that Nate Berkus rug for a while now, and I never thought about making my own. Awesome! :)

    xo Catharine @ Your Modern Couple

    ReplyDelete
  11. RED! :)

    That rug looks fantastic- SO smart to make your own!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Loe the rug, gave me an idea for my daugther's nursery. Oh! and go for the Red, the pop of color will look great!

    ReplyDelete

I love all your comments! Thank you for stopping by :)