Woohoo!! I made it to round 3!!
The theme for round 2 was Upcycle and I knew exactly what I wanted to do. I had seen so many amazing play kitchens out in blogland, that I decided to finally make one for the girls. Morgan and Hayley actually play with it, Audrey likes to open the cabinet and sit inside the play kitchen!
My sister in law donated her old entertainment center for the cause! She has 2 super active boys and the entertainment center had seen better days. Mr. TSL picked it up and brought it home for me....it wasn't in as bad a shape as I had thought. It was solid oak! Mr. TSL almost wouldn't let me paint it. What is is with men and wanting wood to be au natural...no painting nice wood (in my best caveman voice). Just kidding Mr. TSL, I still need some help with other projects and I'm not burning that bridge!
Now for the boring how we did it.
1. Took off old hardware and primed in with spray Kilz (already had this for my dining room chair project...now I need more)
2. I painted the silver first, it was just a can of silver spray paint that Mr. TSL has in a cabinet in his man garage. Apparently, he is a collector of all things spray paint. Our poor children will grow to be spray paint hoarders, just like their mommy and daddy :)
3. I taped off the edges of the flat top range and the oven windows, then painted the white countertop and black cabinet base. The black took 2 coats and the white took 3. (the black was from painting our own kitchen cabinets, but I used it for my Nate Berkus rug from last week and I also painted my front door with it the other day, more on that later. The white paint is the trim paint for the living room trim!)
4. I decided, I was sick of taping off stuff...last week the rug, this week the kitchen...so I took one of those stinky fat permanent markers and a ruler and made the top of the stove like that....soooooo much easier!
5. The handles for the cabinets and drawer were for my grandmothers antique Hoosier cabinet that is in my kitchen...they didn't fit, so they have been in the darwer for 2 years and the Hoosier cabinet still has no handles...so they weren't a new cost either.
6. I decided to paint a faux carrera marble counter...that didn't work. it was terrible. So, I painted over it a few times with some more white paint.
7. Mr. TSL cut the hole for the sink with a jigsaw and we dropped in a cheap pie pan I picked up at Wal-Mart for $0.97...first cost for the project.
8. The chalkboard was leftover wood from when I took apart a home made bed frame the previous owners left in the rafters of Mr. TSL's man garage. We tried to use it in Hayley's room, it was too big and she and I suffered serious injuries from the bed. Okay fine, we both hit our shins, but that puppy left big bruises and I might have been rolling on the floor in pain. I just painted it with some paint we had and the leftover chalkboard paint from the pantry door project.
9. The little pendant flags are cut up paint swatches from Lowe's
10. The knobs for the stove are made from baby food lids that I spray painted black and the hot glued tile spacers on!! :)
11. Last, but not least is the item that made the whole kitchen....the faucet and handles. Mr. TSL made this in his welding class. That's right he made that for
me,er the girls! He stayed after school and forged this thing for the kitchen....it is amazing!! I cannot even describe to you how awesome it is!! He brought it home and I wanted to make out with him!!
So, there it is! My Round 2 Upcycle Project for Crafting with the Stars!
Next Week is.....
I am kind of freaking out....I do not have mad sewing skills.
I have already gone postal on my project once this week. :)
-Make your life beautiful!!
The Girl Creative ,The DIY Showoff ,Sisters of the Wild West ,The Tattered Tag ,Flamingo Toes, Under the Table and Dreaming , I Heart Nap Time
MONDAY:Skip To My Lou, Thrifty Decor Chick, C.R.A.F.T., Sew Can Do, Dittle Dattle, Between Naps On the Porch, Homemaker on a Dime, Making the World Cuter
Blue Cricket Design, Not Just A Housewife, Someday Crafts, Handy Man, Crafty Woman, Sew Much Ado, Organize Your Stuff Now, Seven Thirty Three, Sugar and Dots The Mommy Club
THURSDAY:My Repurposed Life, Paisley Passions, House of Hepworths, Beyond The Picket Fence, The Shabby Chic Cottage, Somewhat Simple,
Remodelaholic, Fingerprints on the Fridge, Miss Mustard Seed, Chic on a Shoestring, Shabby Nest, Tidy Mom, Little Lucy Lu, My Simple Home Life
SATURDAY:Funky Junk Interiors, be Different Act Normal, Tatertots and Jello, Young and Crafty