Sunday, September 11, 2011

10 years ago.

I can't believe it's been 10 years.  Some people say, I'll never forget when...Elvis died, Kennedy was shot, we walked on the moon...etc.  For my generation and others, it's I'll never forget where I was when I heard about the World Trade Center Twin Towers being hit.

I was 19 and driving to my calculus class at Wichita State.  I'm sure I was running behind.  I heard on the radio that the first tower had an airplane fly into it.  At the time, I thought, "I bet it was another drunk pilot."  At the time, the news had been reporting lots of drunk flying pilots.  Then my next thought was what an idiot.  I figured it was a single engine plane and that it had probably had a few casualties.  Sad.  When arriving to class, I saw tons of students gathered on the stoop of my building around a radio.  I went in to class and our professor had turned on the news.  It was at that moment I realized that the United States of America was under attack.  I think I had always felt a false sense of security, because we were America.  Everyone wanted to live here.  Wars did not take place here.  Most bombings/murders were caused by our own citizens.  At least, my 19 year old brain believed that.  What the hell was happening?  After our class ended, I drove to work where we sat around a TV watching everything unfold.  I felt completely helpless.  We watched people crying and replays of people jumping to their death holding the hand of a stranger.  Why would they do this to us?

I had to do something.  I wasn't brave enough, nor did I have the means to drive to New York and help.  But, I could do something here.  With my whole paycheck, I went to Hobby Lobby and bought lots of ribbon and some friends from work and I sat in the floral area and made buttons and bows that we sold to raise money for the victims.   In total, we probably didn't make much.  I sent it anyway.  Some is always better than none. I didn't know anyone personally, but I took it personally.

For the victims of 9/11, we pray for you and we will never forget.  My children are now taught the events that made 9/11 a holiday for our nation and weren't alive to experience it first hand.  I'm sure they will have their "I remember where I was the day.....happened."  9/11 is my I remember when....although I wish it was no one's.

  

God Bless our troops and their families who fight to keep us safe.

1 comment:

  1. I was in my chorus class in high school when I found out. It was so shocking because I'd always had the same sense of security- that nothing like that could happen because we live in America and people don't attack America. Last night I sat and watched the news coverage from 9/11 and cried. All these years later it's still so heartbreaking to see. I can't believe it's been 10 years.

    On a way, WAY lighter note, your idea for DIYing the West Elm chandelier was GREAT!!!
    www.inside-outdesign.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

I love all your comments! Thank you for stopping by :)